7.11.2008

Canning Recipes: Blueberry Jam, Blueberry-Peach Jam, Peaches

Oh my was I in over my head with all the canning this week! I still consider myself a beginning Canned Jam and Peachesin the world of canning, but you have to start somewhere right?



I canned blueberry jam first. I was so nervous it wasn't going to set right and would be runny! I adjusted the recipe and used some honey in place of the sugar. I don't remember the exact amounts but for the blueberry jam I believe I used 3 cups of honey and 3 cups of Turbinado sugar. For the peach-blueberry I think it was 4 cups honey 2 cups sugar. But use at your own discretion because I really don't remember...

Having altered the recipes, I was thrilled when I realized it would be a jam-like consistency.


We don't eat a lot of jam but I'm very excited to give much of these away. Our first delivery will be to our chiropractor for our appointment tomorrow and then maybe we'll take some to the firehouse with a loaf of homemade bread.


While I was pleasantly surprised with my jam, my peaches left much to be desired.


The cans sealed just nicely and I'm sure they will taste fine but they were a pain to peal and were not as pretty as I hoped. Also, instead of making a sugar syrup I used honey (about half of what was called for) and water. It was heavier than the peaches therefor all my peaches rose to the top of the jar. Again, nothing wrong with Homemade Jam and Breadthem but just not the 'look' I hoped for, but nobody will really see them but me :)

I mix and matched recipes but here are a few good recipes and helpful instructions.

How to Make Homemade Blueberry Jam-Easily!
Blueberry Peach Jam
How to Make Homemade Canned Peaches

A little homemade jam on my soaked grain bread...yum!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Yum!



    I am stopping by to invite you to participate in the first edition of the The Carnival of Home Preserving that will be posted at Laura Williams' Musings on Monday July 14th.

    http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/07/introducing-carnival-of-home-preserving.html

    It is a Carnival to Share Recipes and How-To's for Canning, Freezing, Dehydrating (drying), and Root Cellaring of Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs.


    Deadline to Submit: every Sunday at 2pm EST

    Carnival is to be posted by that Monday on the respective Host's blog.



    Link To Submit Post: Blog Carnival Submission
    http://blogcarnival.com/bc/submit_4663.html

    Everyone is welcome to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your post on Rocks in my Dryer about living in Iowa. I was going to comment back to you there but figured you'd not see it as there's so many on that post.

    Anyway, I live in NW Iowa, transplanted from NC. I found your comment hilarious because I do live in a cornfield. Almost. I'm on the edge of town and there are cornfields as far as the eye can see around me, heh. When asked, I tell people I live in a cornfield. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im coming from the Carnival of Home Preseving. Im not sure if youre used to canning peaches but I just want to make a suggestion. When you buy peaches make sure you a buying a freestione variety which means that the seed inside is lose and will come out easily. Also blanch the peaches first and then peel. The skin comes off in one huge peice that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you again for submitting to the Carnival of Home Preserving!

    The carnival is posted if you'd like to come visit:

    http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/07/carnival-of-home-preserving-july-14.html

    Have a wonderful day!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've spent the past 35 years canning/preserving and now spend a lot of time judging 4H and Open Class home canned products at many county and state fairs. There are many good sites on the web where you can find good canning recipes/techniques and one of those is the USDA's site. You can take an online canning course-for those of you who want to learn more about it. If I can be of any help with recipes or techniques, feel free to email me. We grow most of our own fruits and vegetables and I've just finished with our peaches for the year making 3 dozen pots of jam, fruit leather, syrup and butter and also just put up the last 12 gallons of our blueberries into jams, jellies, vinegars etc. Now I'm about to be buried in blackberries-we are having a very blessed year in our home orchard!! I also have a list of books that can be pur-chased used from amazon and alibris.com for additional recipes and techniques that I give to the students of my canning classes. Good luck with all your efforts. plantfreek P.S. BTW-I was born in Sioux City, IA and moved to northern Minnesota when I was 7. Have lots of relatives in IA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I will do my best to reply to your questions in the comments section. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...