8.04.2014

Caramelized Banana Ice Cream

Hello friends!  Who knew I'd get so excited to share ice cream recipes with you all.  Many times, I try a recipe on a whim, unsure if it will have the results I'm intending it to.  This recipe is no different.  It began as a caramelized banana ice cream and then evolved into a unique banana split.

I've only had a few banana splits in my life. The best was at a local ice cream parlor growing up that my friend Emily worked at, it was an amazing old school banana split, three scoops, lots of toppings...amazing  This is a bit different take on a banana split, but I think it lives up to it's old school counterpart.


Caramelized Banana Ice Cream
Dairy free, Grain free, Refined Sugar Free, Soy Free

4 ripe bananas
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil, soft/melted

2 cans full fat coconut milk (I prefer Thai kitchen)
4 egg yolks
1/2 tablespoon cinnammon
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon Vanilla
Salt




1- Preheat oven to 400.  Slice bananas in 1" pieces, toss with honey and coconut oil to coat bananas.  Place in a single layer on lined baking sheet (I didn't line mine but I'd recommend lining yours).  Bake.  Check bananas at 30 minutes, stir if needed and continue to cook until brown and caramelized.  Exact cooking time will depend on the ripeness of your bananas. I cooked mine for just over 40 minutes. They will burn quickly, so keep an eye on your bananas!


2-When bananas are caramelized remove from oven and allow to cool completely. When cooled place in blender and puree until smooth.  Cover and refrigerate.

3- In a bowl whisk 4 egg yolks and honey together until very well combined.  Set this mixture aside.

4- In a pot over medium heat add cinnamon and coconut milk.  Whisk together until incorporated and bring to just before boiling, careful not to burn the milk!

5-When the milk is ready, whisk ladle fulls into eggs until half of the milk is incorporated into the eggs.  This process is called tempering and allows the egg and hot milk to combine without cooking the eggs.  Pour egg/milk mix back into pot with the rest of the milk and put back on the stove, stirring constantly.  Add a pinch of salt and a bit of vanilla (I never measure my vanilla, but a tsp+ should work great. I just slosh a little in.)

6-This mixture will begin to thicken. When it coats the back of the spoon and you can draw a finger through it with the line remaining it's ready.

7-Whisk in your chilled caramelized banana puree.

8-Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until fully chilled.  Chilling overnight is best.

9-When fully chilled pour through a mesh strainer into the ice cream maker container.  Follow the instructions from your ice cream maker to churn. 


We topped ours with this (amazing!) chocolate shell


Are you a banana split fan?

6 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks amazing and I'm so happy it's dairy free. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks super yummy! I love that it's Gluten Free, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big banana fan but this is one of my favorites. Caramelizing the banana makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I will do my best to reply to your questions in the comments section. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...